Despite financial setbacks and ongoing uncertainty across the sector, 2018 saw the community pharmacy network deliver over 1 million flu vaccinations within two months of the service going live. Together with the announcement that the service will be recommissioned in 2019, this is a significant achievement for the sector. With NHS and private flu vaccination services now well established (it is estimated that over 2 million Flu vaccines are administered by pharmacists each year) and growing confidence amongst pharmacists to administer vaccinations, where do we go next?
Research by Valneva UK suggests over 70 million trips abroad are made from the UK every year, but around 50% of travellers seek NO health advice before travelling. There is therefore significant opportunity for both established and new travel clinics to ensure travellers are getting the right protection and advice to keep them safe and well whilst abroad. Coupled with the fact that less than 7% of GP surgeries offer a full travel health service, it is time for pharmacists to step in and look at how this unmet need can be supported in their locality. If you are ready to consider what other vaccination services you can offer, Buttercups Training in collaboration with Voyager Medical are here to help you get started.
At Buttercups Training, our priority is to ensure you have the knowledge, skills and confidence to deliver vaccinations. Our courses are aligned to the National Minimum Standards and Core Curriculum for Immunisation Training for Registered Healthcare Practitioners, and are specifically tailored for Community Pharmacists.
Working in collaboration with Voyager Medical we are pleased to offer you the tools and resources to help you expand the vaccination services you already offer and identify opportunities to grow your business.
Our courses include:
VACCINATION TRAINING (Practical plus Online)
Two training courses are available, one designed for those who are new to vaccination (4.5hrs) and one for experienced vaccinators who require their three yearly face to face practical training (2.5hrs). This training will provide you with the skills to:
- Deliver injections via Intramuscular, Subcutaneous and Intranasal injection
- Reconstitute vaccines
- Administer adult & paediatric Basic Life Support (Including use of defibrillator)
- Recognise and manage anaphylaxis
- Use adrenaline auto injectors and draw adrenaline from an ampoule
2019 WORKSHOP DATES NOW AVAILABLE
ANNUAL FLU VACCINATION REFRESHER TRAINING (Online)
Designed for Pharmacists who require Annual Flu Vaccination Refresher Training (as recommended by Public Health England). This training aims to refresh knowledge of:
- Current issues in vaccination
- Any changes to legislation relevant to vaccination
- Epidemiology of vaccine preventable disease
- Any changes to vaccine recommendation or national policy
- Update on vaccine ordering, storage and administration
- Injection technique (Intramuscular & Subcutaneous routes of administration)
- Anaphylaxis recognition and management & Basic Life Support
Please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to arrange on-site training for your pharmacists.