The definition of homelessness means not having a home. It includes rough sleeping but can also include those in accommodation which is unsuitable for their needs. You count as homeless if you are:
- Staying with friends or family
- Staying in a hostel, night shelter or B&B
- Squatting (because you have no legal right to stay)
- At risk of violence or abuse in your home
- Living in poor conditions that affect your health
- Living apart from your family because you don't have a place to live together
What we do
- We encourage a good relationship with the pharmacies who provide apprenticeships to those training with Buttercups, therefore concerns around homelessness can be identified and shared with Buttercups
- We have a good relationship with the mentors to our apprentices and encourage them to speak to us regularly and voice their concerns
- We encourage a good relationship with the parents and carers of our apprentices and encourage them to voice any concerns relating to homelessness
- We review our learners' welfare regularly via telephone welfare reviews and/or learner welfare visits (for 16-19 year old learners)
- We involve other agencies if we have concerns
What I will do
- I will recognise if I am at risk of becoming homeless and I will speak to someone and ask for help
- I will talk to someone if my housing situation is causing my physical or mental health to deteriorate
- I know that I can report my concerns to the Safeguarding and Welfare Team at Buttercups
If you are worried or have any concerns, please contact the Buttercups Safeguarding and Welfare Team.
OFFICE HOURS: 0115 937 4936
OUT OF HOURS: 07483 038898
OTHER USEFUL RESOURCES
Refuge help women and children who are victims of domestic violence. Refuge operate the 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline.
Runaway Helpline is here if you are thinking about running away, if you have already run away, or if you have been away and come back.
You can also contact us if you are worried that someone else is going to run away or if they are being treated badly or abused.
A huge resource for the under 25s, covering everything from bereavement, exam stress, emotional abuse, mental health to homelessness. A confidential service with a 24 hour helpline.
Pharmacist Support is an independent charity working for pharmacists and their families, former pharmacists and pharmacy learners to provide help and support in times of need